By Patrice Krant, Retreat Chair
You might be thinking, since it seems we just finished Retreat 2019, there probably isn’t much going on in Homer vis-a-vis retreat for a few months, but you would be wrong. Hosting 60 of our favorite quilting friends at Land’s End requires 12 months of preparation!
Here is what Carol Renfrew and I (retreat co-chairs) and the rest of the Kachemak Bay Quilters are working on at the moment:
* Making welcome packet and Saturday night gifts for each attendee. We make 65 of each item, and no, I can’t tell you what any of them are!
* Designing next year’s tee shirt. Karol Miller, quilter and extraordinary artist, is working on the 2020 shirt design. We will have the ladies’ style shirts again for 2020, by the way, in addition to the traditional unisex short- and long-sleeve tee styles.
* Replacing some retreat equipment, including getting new cutting mats and some new irons. We are also testing extension cord towers with USB ports, which will take up less room on the tables and allow you to charge your phone, too. They work great at my house, but we are not sure the elderly utilities at Land’s End have enough capacity for them!
* Finding and testing a delightful mystery quilt. I will give you one hint: it will be a modern quilt. You might want to start thinking about three or four solid colors you love!
* Choosing a couple of fun blocks for the block exchange. We might do another Quilt of Valor block collection, too (even though I haven’t finished the two quilts we will make from the 2019 QOV blocks you made!).
* Choosing a couple of mini-workshops for Thursday and Friday. If there is a skill or trick or quilting “hack” you would like to demonstrate or teach, please let us know!
* Waiting expectantly to see the menus and pricing from Land’s End for 2020. We are expecting rising prices and hope to combat them with limiting our Saturday night menu choices and having brunch again on Sunday (rather than breakfast and lunch).
* Preparing the registration forms and packets for distribution in the next newsletter after this one, so you will be ready to register at our fall KPQG meeting.
That’s your retreat news from Homer for this quarter!
Patrice and Carol